There was only one line that came to my mind when I finished reading this book – Much Ado About Nothing!! This may not be entirely true, but the ending left me feeling bereft and stranded as if I was in a desert and the story was the mirage. Perhaps I hadn’t understood the story…. Let me try to recapture it…
A hit and run in the middle of the night and 2 witnesses, one is Isla a housewife and the other Beth, the woman across the street… Isla couldn’t sleep hence went for a stroll and Beth was getting back from work. A single incident draws them together, and soon Beth moves in to Isla’s home and sees the reality of her life with husband Jake..
Author Vikki Patis has written a tale which reads swiftly, which causes interest to touch sky high, there is an absolute adrenaline rush, and the pages get turned every few seconds. The writing is really that good, the secrets hidden are so intriguing. It is just fabulous.
And then it all unravels for me. The story seems illogical as the subplots are not tied. I am left with many questions.
- Isla strolls only on THAT particular night, in the rest of the book when insomnia hits her, to relax, she is found smoking on the patio or drinking
- Husband Jake’s job is never explained, nor his night habits hinted at, but that soon becomes a half boiled subplot, which feels rushed when it comes to light
- Why does Isla never leave her husband when she has money squirrelled away just for that reason? Also if a wife is stealing money from household expenses, it is generally cash, not in her bank account which husband can access.
- What makes Isla stay with a husband who beats her black and blue, yet finds the courage to go to the clinic to abort her child but not the courage to go to the cops?
- Beth too stays with an asshole of a boyfriend who rapes her every other night, doesn’t work, yet Beth can’t leave him when she hates him. Why not? What are the mitigating circumstances stopping her?
There are many such minor subplots which are not weaved well into the storyline, at least for me, to enjoy the book completely. Ah yes, the ending is thriller-y, but I didn’t like it.
So all my love is for Vikki’s writing and for keeping me hooked till the end.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and Bookouture, and this is my journey into its pages, straight from the heart!!
All my reviews can be found here
What do you do when you are the only who has not liked the book?
Her name is Beth. She came into my life when I needed her the most. We lead very different lives, but she’s the only person who understands me.
She was the only other witness to the terrible accident on the street between our homes. The only person who saw the cracks in my perfect life before I had the chance to cover them up.
It’s been so long since I’ve had a friend. Someone to talk to, to listen to, to laugh and dream with.
Beth would never do anything to hurt me.
She only wants what’s best for me, for my marriage.
Publication Date: 8th March 2019